More Minutes to Waste

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

One Tale of Many a Weird People

I attract odd people to me in public. I don't know how I do it. I don't particularly go out of my way to encounter odd situations but they embrace me all the same.

This morning I stopped to get a coffee before hitting the walking track / gym when I-Don't-Understand-Personal-Space showed up behind me in line. I didn't pay attention at first. Delightful predictions of cream, sugar, and caffeine tickling my tongue raced through my mind so it took me a moment to notice the intruder. Once I did I looked back and was surprised to see his psycho-sorta-calm-and-distant-expression.

We moved forward in line. Step forward by me. Step and a half forward by him. This line leech was determined to stand right behind me with that emotionless stare spread across his facade.

I decided to say good morning to him and ask him how his day was going so far. Perhaps conversation would erase the awkward closeness or even persuade him to disengage from his coffee mission.

It did not.

I was met with an odd growling noise. Staring for a long second, I noted that his face retreated back to unreadable craziness. Quickly, I returned my gaze to the cashier and silently counted the seconds until I could get outta there.

Until I departed, victorious in my brewed reward, he remained all too close behind me.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment